Monday, February 18, 2008

Rant: Big Box Wasteful!

-- Begin Rant --

While in my local Menards store today, something dawned on me like a light coming on over my head. Actually, a light WAS on over my head. Lots of them. THAT was the problem.

Walk into your local big-box home improvement store, and wander on over to the lighting section. They all do it. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards... EVERY single light they have on display is *on* during business hours (maybe longer!).

Is it that hard to let customers turn it on and off if they want to see what it looks like? Is an 'on' light more likely to sell than an 'off' light? Even if so, do they sell enough of them to justify the damage to the environment AND the bottom line of their electric bill?

C'mon, Big Box! Get on the green bandwagon and turn off those lights. Our planet will thank you. At least I will.

-- End Rant --

1 comment:

Aaron Hurd said...

Interestingly, I was also in a big box store today and had quite the opposite experience.

The Wal-Mart (of all stores!) in Grinnell, Iowa actually has almost the entire store lit with natural sky lights. It seemed like a rather green thing to do for a big box retailer.

I hate to say it, but kudos to Wal-Mart (in this case.)