Thursday, January 10, 2008

True Stories

This past year I have become more vocal and more active in green awareness. I didn't make this a goal at first and really just woke up one day and realized that I was already being proactive, so why not put some thought into it? For me, the best turning point I can think of was when I started to ride the city bus to work. I came to love using the buses where I went to college because they provided a warm, dry, quick way for me to get around campus and they were free for students. In my adult life, a city bus route was a 3 minute walk from my apartment and the downtown station was a closer walk than the free company parking lot. It also became free for me to take the bus a few months after I started riding because my company started providing free bus passes to employees. From this change I started slowly adding other environmentally conscious aspects to my life, but it still took a while before I completely woke up to what I could do.

After purchasing a house I felt more empowered to make important choices and that my decisions really had an effect, plus it was fun for me. I started looking for eco-friendly cleaning products, and I got overwhelmed by this so we still use whatever I have leftover from when I lived in an apartment along with a few eco-friendly samples. We also started painting rooms in our house and just completed the third painting project. This last time we used no VOC paint from Sherwin Williams and I think we finally have an efficient painting process even if we aren't perfect yet. Each time I try something new and am successful, I feel good even if I'm just easing in.

In future posts I plan on sharing more information about current projects my husband and I have planned for our house and other changes we're making in our lives to evolve.

No comments: