Wednesday, March 19, 2008

First Strida Ride!

Today was the perfect rush of adrenaline. We were running late and missed the opportunity to catch my usual bus. My husband was sick and I felt bad that he was burdened to drop me off at my bus stop. The weather was a nice 45-ish degrees and the roads had finally rid themselves of snow. With all of these conditions perfectly aligned, I made the quick decision to break in my Strida and find out if my solution had any hope. The short story is that it worked! I got to the bus stop and back home in one piece. My morning bus driver suggested my solution to another rider, and I got plenty of comments (providing great leads into encouraging other people to bike or ride the bus). The long story involves some areas that I would like to improve for my next trips and comments about the bike. Here is my list:

  1. The ride is much more vertical than I'm used to. This is something I knew ahead of time and I'll just have to get used to it. My main problem is that habit makes me try to dismount forward of the seat. This *doesn't work* since it's an A frame and there is a big bar there. I really need to remember this so I don't continue to look ridiculous when getting off!
  2. I need to aim better when putting the two wheels together in the folded position. The magnets are quite strong and pull the wheels together quickly, so I didn't get them centered well this morning, which provided opportunities for the wheels to separate when I pushed the bike over cracks and bumps.
  3. Weight is important! The bike was actually pretty heavy to steer even though I was just pushing it. It's more that you have to control the direction of the bike and keep it from wobbling too much, so hopefully this will get easier as I become more adequate at driving a folded bike.
  4. I need to find straps/Velcro/something to hold the handles still when they are folded down. They currently flop around and can get caught on various things while trying to steer the folded bike. They were also a problem on the bus. I was able to fit the bike right in front of me on the bus, so that it was between my seat and the seat in front of me. The handles are about head level and could smack me in the face or hit the person in front of me in the head. Luckily neither of those things happened today, but I did spend the whole time on both bus trips holding the handles still.
  5. I love that there are straps to lock the breaks. The was so helpful while I was both waiting for buses and on the buses.
  6. The bike is adequate for riding the approximate mile that I have to get to the bus stop, but I wouldn't want to go touring around with it.

That is all I have for now, along with a bunch of excitement that my scheme worked on the first try! Now to commit to getting rid of my car...

3 comments:

Noel Wiggins said...

Samantha, to fix the problem of the floppy folded bars just close the handle and the will pull tight against the folded frame.

Samantha said...

Noel, Thanks for the tip. I tried this on my second trip with the bike and it works well while I'm pushing it around. I'm still going to look into a strap for when it's on the bus because the ride is so bumpy that the handles still move around even with the bar closed. Thanks for posting!

tim said...

cool experience! i wish bus drivers where i lived were all as tolerant as your morning driver. i'm also glad you picked the strida over the A-bike. in my opinion, the A-bike's wheels are too small and would be somewhat dangerous if there are cracks in the pavement or other uneven ground. i myself own a white strida 3.

if you do'nt mind me sharing, i recently bought some strida frame protectors from Asia and i have some extras i'm willing to sell.

if you're not interested, just ignore this message.
thanks! tsbutton at yahoo dot com